Locksmith FAQs

FAQs

Please take a look at our charges page for more information. If you require more information please don’t hesitate to call Wayne on 07711 906667
There aren’t any call out charges no matter what time of day or night you call us. Should you decide to cancel for whatever reason  and Wayne is on his way to you then a £24 charge applies but if the work goes ahead then you would only be charged for a labour charge.
No, if that was the case then we could do all the first visits on a motorbike with no parts onboard and then return in our van in order to earn more money.
95% of our calls can all be dealt with within an hour of your initial call authorising us to attend. The other 5% would be shortly over the 1-hour Period.
We carry a credit/debit card machine however if you choose credit there is a 3% charge whereas there is no charge for debit. Cash is also accepted.
If you are actually inside the property then no identification is required. If you are locked outside of the property then a photo ID with that address on it would be required. If that’s not available then we would have to knock on your neighbours door for proof of ID.
Lock Solution’s owner is Wayne Colvin (Pictured Below) who is the only locksmith in our small family run business.
Wayne
You don’t have to do anything apart from keeping yourself comfortable. It’s important you keep your phone available to accept calls in case the locksmith needs to call you for directions.
It depends on the style and manufacturer, but it will be a minimum of 2 keys and a maximum of 3 keys. However, if you require more then we have the facility to cut extra on site.
Yes, all work and parts come with a 1 years guarantee.
We have the facility to print invoices straight away so there’s no chasing required from yourself for a bill you’ve already paid for.
Obviously that would be our preferred method by card or cheque but if not we can leave you with a 30-day invoice.